Castello di Ama
CASTELLO DI AMA
Ama takes its name from the small borgo, or hamlet, nestled in the hills at almost 500 metres' elevation. Five centuries past, it was the centre of local farming activities, as well as wine production carried out by a group of families of the area.
Castello di Ama was established in the 1960s by a group of families from various places who fell un-der the spell of this spot and undertook the challenge of restoring the splendours of Ama's past and of producing a Chianti Classico that would stand among the world's most prestigious wines.
The vineyards of Ama are well exposed, with much sunlight, all of them well tended, almost as gar-dens; this is the most fertile and highly respected part of Chianti. Castello di Ama possess a total of 89 hectares devoted to vineyard, subdivided into five magnificent shell-like hillslopes that local geography has always known by the traditional names of: Bellavista, San Lorenzo, Casuccia, Bertinga and Montebuoni. These vineyards surround the hamlet of Ama on all sides, radiating out some 3 kilometres, and are sited at elevations that range from 328 metres for Bertinga up to 525 for San Lorenzo (Al Poggio).
In addition to the crus Ama also produces L'Apparita; Tuscany's first single vineyard merlot which is undoubtedly on a par with the other great bottlings of this varietal.
• 2011 IL CHIUSO Sangiovese/ Pinot Nero IGT
• 2011 AL POGGIO Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio IGT
• 2010 AMA Chianti Classico IGT
• 2006 CASTELLO DI AMA Chianti Classico DOCG
• 2007 CASTELLO DI AMA Chianti Classico DOCG
• 2009 CASTELLO DI AMA Chianti Classico Riserva 3000ml DOCG
• 2008 CASTELLO DI AMA Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG
• 2010 CASTELLO DI AMA San Lorenzo Chianti Classico Gran Sele DOCG
• 2009 HAIKU Sangiovese/Merlot/Cabernet Franc IGT
• 2006 VIGNETO LA CASUCCIA Chianti Classico DOCG
• 2007 VIGNETO LA CASUCCIA Chianti Classico DOCG
• 2007 VIGNETO BELLAVISTA Chianti Classico DOCG
• 2006 VIGNETO BELLAVISTA Chianti Classico DOCG
• 2004 VIGNETO BELLAVISTA Chianti Classico DOCG1500ml
• 2007 L'APPARITA IGT
• 2008 L'APPARITA IGT
• 2009 L'APPARITA IGT
• 2010 L'APPARITA IGT
• 2007 VINSANTO 375ml DOC
Visit their website: